It’s true that JEE and NEET work best if one starts early. Early preparation is a good step to take in JEE and NEET preparation. As multitudes of students enroll in coaching from class 9 onwards, the question becomes, is coaching for entrance exams like JEE/ NEET really required in class 9? or should I join after the 10th boards?
When do you take coaching from class 9th?
- Early coaching for IIT/JEE exams at this stage enhances students’ logic and analytic reasoning skills, which also helps students in board exams.
- The CBSE syllabus of Class 9th is the base for class 11th and similarly, the syllabus of class 10th is the base for class 12th. Coaching can thus help in scoring better in both classes 11th and 12th.
- If you take coaching from institutes, you will get the right environment there and it will keep you dedicated to your goal. Hence, there are many students in a class and a competitive environment drives students to work harder and build a habit of punctuality and discipline.
- If you start your preparation from the 9th class, it means you have 4 years to prepare all the curriculum, it evenly spreads out the pressure and stress faced by students. With more time to grasp lessons at their own pace, understand the logic behind concepts and clear their doubts, students can also solidify their learning and develop a greater understanding.
- Coaching centers prepare students for Olympiads and other competitive exams like NTSE, NLSTSE, IMO, IAIS, etc. also.
When You Take JEE/NEET Coaching From Class 11?
- If you are starting your preparation from class 11th then you may get some added pressure of multiple expectations from parents.
- Having just crossed the milestone of choosing a stream, they need to cope with a more advanced syllabus and coaching may become an additional burden.
- Beginning coaching in class 11th may put the student at a disadvantage compared to students who have started their coaching early. They might need to work twice as hard to reach their level, inculcate study habits, and alter their daily routine.
- They only have two years to complete their entire syllabus of entrance exam students gets less time for board preparation which might affect their scores. This can also lead to increased stress and pressure.
- But, if you have chosen a good institute that has good teachers and offers the best coaching then you may get some plus points.
Right Time to Start Coaching – Class 9 or 11?
It depends on various factors– such as students’ ability to handle academic pressure and a hectic schedule, their foundation, concept, dedication toward career goals, and their learning capabilities.
If you are still confused about whether your child should take coaching from class 9 or not. Then, you may start your child’s self-study in classes 9 and 10. Begin with books for competitive exams that strengthen concepts, without adding the additional pressure of JEE and coaching. Get them to start slow and increase their pace as they go on. The ground covered in these 2 years can provide fertile ground in which to sow the seeds of dedicated preparation and tutored study later on.
And all in all, remember that coaching is not an absolute necessity and there are many people who perform wonderfully without it too. It is up to you and your child to decide what works best for them.
You may prepare for your NEET and JEE exams from any class, even if you are a dropper. However, early preparation is the best thing to do. While preparing for competitive exams like NEET/JEE, student need good support and a good coach who can clear your doubt on time. You need smart work with 100% dedication.